Ship OwnersShip Operators
Advanced Students and
Fact 1: Did you know that the basics of running accurate voyage estimations have not changed at all in over 400 years!
Fact 2: Nor will it! There are costs and there are projected revenues. These basic variables remain unchanged.
Fact 3: All voyage estimation software available on the market is basically the SAME.The way they differentiate themselves is as follows;
1. add-ons i.e. In built distance tables / port costs / bunker costs.
2. By integrating the voyage estimation software with other software such as in-house operations, accounting and email applications.
Important Note: For these privileges, of which I have no doubt are real and important for many people, software firms charge you a considerable amount of money.
Not only are you up for a considerable amount of money BUT you are also locked in!
Virtually all of the software in the market is web based which means you have to log into the providers system in order to access your intellectual property. Nothing wrong with that in the main - but what it means in practice is that you are also locked into a long term relationship with the provider paying yearly subscriptions from now until……..well…. you are 6 feet under.
So this is where the VS Estimation pack is different.
The software looks, feels and calculates with the same accuracy and ease as its’ more expensive counterparts
1. It is a stand alone program. You buy it from VS, download it onto your computer and it is yours forever. No costly subscriptions to deal with. Carry it with you everywhere. And when your web server is down…don’t fear! This software will work. And when you internet connection is working very slowly….don’t fret! This software works at the same fast speed all the time!
2. There are no add-ons. No distance tables, no in built ports costs etc. HOWEVER, here is the good news. 90 percent of you don’t need them! And because they are not included, the VS software is priced accordingly.
Why don’t you need them?
Port distance tables – are free on the ‘world wide web’ (check my blog). Pay thousands for the add-on or access the information for free (at almost the same speed)? Your choice!
Daily Fuel Prices: Ditto!
Port costs and restrictions – Much of the information is free on the ‘world wide web’.The most important point is this - Even the most seasoned of voyage estimators DO NOT rely on the inbuilt port costs and port restrictions provided by the software providers. They use them merely as a guide. Why? Because there are too many variables and there is too much at risk at getting this part of a calculation wrong.
So in truth this add-on although useful is mostly a gimmick!
In the pack - I show you how the professionals get access to this information and I also show you how to run effective calculations without having all the ‘information’ at hand.
3. There is no integration with other in-house software programs. The VS Voyage Estimation Software is a stand alone application. It does not pretend to be all things to all people. Many of the well known industry software programs link the voyage estimation eventually with the operations, sales and accounting programs. This is very useful, but again only for a percentage of users.
MOST USERS WANT AN ACCURATE, EASY TO USE, COST EFFECTIVE VOYAGE ESTIMATION PROGRAM. THE VS VOYAGE ESTIMATION SOFTWARE DELIVERS!
Summary of user benefits
One time purchase - no yearly subscriptions. Save thousands of $
• Run your own voyage calculations/estimations
• Fully functional voyage calculation software
• Take just a few minutes to set up a new calculation from scratch, or change an existing one.
• Easy to use interface
• Save and retrieve upto 1,000 calculations
• Full Cargoes and up to 3 Part cargo options
• Shinc, Shex, Sshex, Satpmshex - load and discharge.
• Print summary results
• Profit and loss: Compare and contrast TC IN and Per Metric Ton values.
• All presented on one interactive screen
• Multiple passwords / users at small price
What to expect
• Examples of 9 of the most common dry bulk voyage estimations.
• Complete the examples from start to finish.
• Seen from four different perspectives – The shipowner, the freight trader, the charterer and the shipbroker.
• Port costs: How to find good, accurate data without paying thousands of dollars.
• How to calculate and offer using ‘estimated port costs’
• Pro forma PORT AGENT emails (what to send to port agents in order to get all the relevant information for your voyage in question)
• Pro forma descriptions of all the major dry bulk ship types
• Vessel intake – how to work out how much your ship can load
• 2009 examples for the major canals and passage charges.
This has been my biggest undertaking and should be available soon.
The Virtual Shipbroker